SHEPPARD & ROUT STUDIO
Following the Canterbury earthquakes Sheppard & Rout could no longer continue to practice out of our central city villa, previously our home of 29 years. While at our temporary premises across town, it was decided to undertake renovations to the villa and also extend to accommodate the growth in numbers in our office.
Major renovations to the original villa were undertaken to bring it up to current building standards. These provided an opportunity to amend some of the extensions and renovations since its construction in the early 1900’s. All notable features, such as large cornices, ceiling roses, sash windows, period French doors, high skirtings, and wide architraves were either re-instated or replaced as necessary to retain the villa’s grand essence.
The rear of the villa was re-worked to make way for a single story link through to a new large studio pavilion sitting behind the house. Clad in dark stained timber, this simple gable form contrasts with the white villa, but remains harmonious due to its familiar form and careful consideration of proportion, symmetry, and quality of finish.